Saturday, February 2, 2013

Chicago School and Prairie School architecture

The Chicago School and the Prairie School produced some great buildings; they are certainly beautiful and perfect each on its own way, but after seeing Art Nouveau, I have to say, these two old architecture schools didn't quite amaze me. Art Nouveau causes much more in me. 
Nevertheless, I think it is wonderful that great architects designed not only skyscrapers or big buildings just to get some fame, but small and ordinary buildings -I say ordinary because every city needs a bank, a library, a school or a store- that make a city not functional and beautiful! Nowadays, we just get 'cookie-cutter' buildings that do not have any artistic feature -or any feature at all-, and I think it is kind of sad what we're doing to our cities.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it is very sad about our city buildings nowadays. There is no way that a great architect like Louis Sullivan would be designing bank buildings in small cities; he wouldn't even get ASKED. It's not money we lack, it's a commitment to do the best we can do.

    ReplyDelete