Thursday, February 21, 2013

Der Blaue Reiter - Lyonel Feininger and Paul Klee

I love how Feininger can range from straight line compositions to black and soft water colour paintings, or even cartoon designs! Personally, I prefer his straight line near-abstraction paintings because even though they can resemble to some real-life things, we can never know the actual meaning of them!

Feininger's 'Harbor Mole'

However, I liked much more the work of Paul Klee. Each of his paintings seems to me a masterpiece. The choice of the figures and the colours used are marvellous; everything just fits in the place! Of course, my favourite must be 'Cat and Bird' (otherwise, my cats will abandon me).

Klee's 'Cat and Bird'


1 comment:

  1. Klee had such a profound effect on me when I was first discovering modern art (pretty much on my own) in high school. He is still a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete