Thursday, February 21, 2013

Goya's 'Saturn Devouring His Son'


Goya's 'Saturn Devouring His Son' is one my personal favourite paintings (I'm actually painting it myself.. I only have the legs left but exams haven't let me finish it). I think this painting's composition is perfect: the contrast between the light and the dark and pretty much 'dirty' colours provides an alarming and sort of dream-like atmosphere, and the red of the blood although represented with just a few strokes, catches your eye immediately and completes the scene in a subtle and sublime and. However, I think that the most special feature of this painting is the look of Saturn; those eyes can make you have nightmares, and I can say is it really thrilling to paint them!... I think it is really obvious why this painting is consider to be a visual precursor to Expressionism.

1 comment:

  1. One of the great pieces of image-making in the entire history of painting. No question.

    ReplyDelete