Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Surrealist Film

Surrealism in cinema is certainly a unique experience!  I particularly liked 'Un chien andalou' by Luis Buñuel (such an honour that he had chosen Mexico for making a lot of his films). At first, I must admitted I was feeling a little unsatisfied because I thought I didn't understand it. However, I realized that it is Surrealism what I was seeing, and I remembered there's no point in looking for a meaning for it, it's just art! I think it is amazing how Buñuel and Dalí wrote this short film in such an automatic and imaginative way. How they could even come out with those ideas?! I think 'Un chien andalou' is a sublime masterpiece that I hope never gets forgotten with the years.
Viking Eggeling's 'Symphonie Diagonale' is also really interesting, and quite innovative by that time. Now, that movie could be perfect for those Windows sound media reproducers that just show patterns of shapes and colour when you're playing a song... who would think that that was art too?


"You're Surrealists, but I'm a normal guy..."

1 comment:

  1. Oddly, I haven't seen "Midnight in Paris" yet - I'll buy the DVD when I see it at a reasonable price. I hear that the actors like Adrien Brody and Kathy Bates really had fun with their roles.

    ReplyDelete