Sunday, April 21, 2013

Rebellion

'Rebellion' is a ridiculously big subject. A ridiculous number of bands, musicians and songwriters are mentioned here, and even though they all have been influential at some point, I'm only going to mention those who really appeal to me and, of course, the ones I think have left the most important legacy.
When we're talking about pure rock, I think most people think of Elvis, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones,  and Bob Dylan, every other band is just a derivative from them... they're the ones that have really started it all.
Elvis Presley, the King of rock and roll has had, in my opinion, an incredible and HUGE influence, even nowadays everyone knows about Elvis, either as the sex symbol dancing bad boy or as the old and rather fat king of rock and roll. Even a small kid has listened to Elvis! Elvis is everywhere, even in Disney Channel's movies (I think the first song of Elvis I heard may be 'Suspicious Minds' in Lilo & Stitch). Of course, Elvis's influence isn't just his appearances on  movies and such, I think he basically created the image of rock and roll, he made it danceable, catchy, rebel and catchy, surpassing the limits of jazz. 


No other band has ever reach the musical career of The Beatles, year over year of success, eclectic albums that show not only the great musical talents of John, Paul, George and Ringo, but the constant maturation of the band in both originality of the music and the lyrics of the songs. I think no other band or person has ever have The Beatles' scope and constant success. They're a band that defined not only music but a whole era. They formerly started the concept of a 'rock band', being loved not only by the screaming female teenagers, but by a wide range of public. Who doesn't love The Beatles, anyway?
The Beach Boys are known as the American equivalent of The Beatles, but I think they're far away from that. I do enjoy 'I Get Around', 'God Only Knows', and 'Wouldn't It Be Nice', but we have to face they're just not The Beatles, I don't think The Beach Boys had such an evolution in the deepness of their songs as The Beatles.



Bob Dylan, maybe not as famous as The Beatles, but equally important, open the doors of a much more deep rock and roll with his epic song 'Like A Rolling Stone' (The Rolling Stones took their name from this song? I've always asked myself that...). Songs of more than 3-4 minutes were unthinkable for a rock song, and even more if it wasn't a girls/love song! Bob Dylan marked the beginning of something huge, even The Beatles must be thankful to him... 
Ps. I love when he combines the harmonica in his songs. Blowin' in the wind is huge to me!



The Rolling Stones, The Who and The Doors are not my favorite bands or rock, but I can't ignore the fact that they're an icon of rock too, specially The Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger. Who doesn't know about Mick Jagger and his moves? Who hasn't seen that red tongue of theirs? They're huge but not that appealing to me. I may be wrong but I think The Beatles, Elvis and Bob Dylan are better than them because they DO sing, I think Mick Jagger rather screams... (Unlike Queen... Freddie's Mercury voice is just unique)

Much more later, yet influential and REALLY important rock bands are, of course, Queen from 70's and Soda Stereo from the 80's/90's (I think Soda Stereo is the most influential rock band from Latin America)



In Mexico, we have 'El Tri' and 'Caifane', but again, they're much more later rock bands.


(A clear influence from Bob Dylan here) - 70s


(The contemporaries of Soda Stereo) - 80s/90s

Maybe the mos 'Rebellion' ones are 'Molotov', a Mexican Rock Band that has even been banned by the national television channel 'Televisa' (These examples mix rap and rock)



No comments:

Post a Comment