Thursday, April 18, 2013

Stand-Up Comedy / Improv

I think stand-up Comedy is one of the greatest legacies of this time period, and again, stand up comedy is generally another form of social and/or political criticism that gets really close to the public. I think nowadays it is easier for the general public to remember a good stand-up comedian than a good painter, maybe because the interaction between a stand-up comedian and the public is much more direct and obvious than any relationship between the public and a painter or even a musician. 
For the public, stand-up comedy could be seen as a relaxing and entertaining escape from reality, bur really they're just facing it in a more subtle and funny way. We can laugh of our own miseries with these guys, it's great!

I think an early example of stand-up comedy is the famous routine 'Who's on first?' (one of my favorites, my dad (both a film critic and a huge baseball lover) and I laugh ourselves out with this:



I want to point out the similarity between Mort Sahl's explanation of politics and John Cleese's explanation against Extremism:

Pure gold

I also want to mention Louis C.K.'s T.V. series 'Louie' as an amazing legacy of stand-up comedy (only that in the T.V. format)





No comments:

Post a Comment