Sunday, March 10, 2013

American Scene, Precisionist, and Regionalist Painters


Edward Hopper's paintings are somehow uncanny: there's something strange in the atmosphere that his works create, but it still looks familiar... His style is sometimes beyond description, I really loved his paintings!

Hopper's 'Nighthawks'

Ben Shahn can sometimes resemble Hopper's work, but I think Shahn is way too disturbing.

Shahn's 'Liberation' ... quite disturbing

Isabel Bishop's paintings are steady and calm; they make your senses relax in a really sublime way!

Bishop's 'Men Resting'

However, Bishop's friend Reginald Marsh is not really my style... his paintings are too disgusting and disturbing!
Marsh's 'The Bowl'

Ivan Albright's paintings are indeed really precise: they're busy and overwhelming, sometimes they're even alarming!
Albright's 'Poor Room'

I really liked all Charles Sheeler's pieces of work, but 'City Interior' really impressed me! What a realistic painting! *Hats off*

'City Interior'

Demuth can get really interesting and modern, speacially in 'I saw the Figure 5 in Gold', but he doesn't speak to me like other artists do.

'I saw the Figure 5 in Gold'

In general, I didn't really like the Regionalist paintings because I don't even like farms landscapes or farm animals in real life. However I think that Rockwell Kent's seascapes and polar landscapes ate great! Some paintings that stand out from the rest! In addition, I think that Grandma Moses's paintings are cute, she has a style that I would never paint, but anyway I think her work is cute!

I've always thought that Wood's 'American Gothic' is disturbing..
his other paintings are more charming and stylized, though

Thomas Hart Benton is indeed different from the rest of the American artists we've been reviewing. I liked his paintings because they're energetic and quite imaginative, sometimes even alarming!

Hart Breton's 'Cut the Line'

No comments:

Post a Comment