Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Evolution of Jazz

Jazz is by far my favorite American musical style! Jazz just speaks to me in both melodies and lyrics. I have already listened to everything that was covered up in the notes of Jazz, and I just don't understand how someone could have not listen to at least one of the basic jazz songs! Unbelievable! 

Ragtime

Scott Joplin is certainly the star of ragtime and I think that everybody should have at listened to one Joplin's piece. The Pineapple Rag, for instance, is a must! It is perfect, sublime, a unique experience! So catchy, cheerful even if there's no lyrics on it!

Blues

Blues are certainly not cheerful (duh), but I think Blues are sublime! A complete different experience from Ragtime, but still great and deep; it touches one's heart!

Tin Pan Alley

To understand what a Tin Pan Alley song is, you just have to listen to 'After You've Gone'. There are plenty number of versions of this song, I couldn't just pick one as my favorite.. I think that Leigh Harris's, Dinah Washington's, Eydie Gorme's and Fiona Apple's are all great in their different styles!
Here's an excerpt of the song in 'All That Jazz' 

Jazz

Jazz for me is indescribable! It is great in so many ways that I can't make a short paragraph about it. I don't want to let anyone out, but I would only talk about the ones that I think are the more basic and delightful.

  • Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald: My favorite pair! Armstrong trumpet is sublime, but his voice is just marvelous! Ella Fitzgerald is naturally one of the greatest female singers of all times! Her voice is just angelical, melodic... perfect!
  • Glenn Miller Orchestra: They created one of the most famous jazzy melodies. Who doesn't want  to dance to their music! It's such a shame what happened to them...
  • Don't Fence Me In: Who doesn't like Cole Porter, Bin Crosby and the Andrews Sisters all in one?! What a sublime piece!
  • George Gershwin: Indeed one of the greatest American composers along with Cole Porter!
(I think Sinatra sings this one better, but Fred Astaire does a great job too!)

  • Charlie Chaplin: I love Chaplin's films! He always know how to delight me and make me laugh. I really didn't know he also composed music, I've already listened to 'Smile', of course, but I never imagined Chaplin was involved with it. I just fell in love again with this song!



  • Ray Charles: How I love his man! His life was certainly problematic, sad, sometimes pathetic, but his music is something I can't resist!
(I love Ray Charles in 'The Blues Brothers')

  • Harry Warren: I love Harry Warren! 'At Last' is, in my opinion, one of the greatest songs of this time!
  • Frank Sinatra: One of my dreams is to see Frank Sinatra singing in front of me in a concert. Of course, that dream can't never be accomplished anymore, but what can I say? I love Frank Sinatra! What a man! I think his voice is the most perfect voice that the USA has ever produced! Hats off to him! I can't decide which is my favorite song by Sinatra, but here's one I really love:



  • I couldn't forget to mention Dean Martin and Louis Prima on this post! I love them!



No comments:

Post a Comment