Friday, March 1, 2013

Objectivity - Music and Dance

Objective music can be defined into a single word: Neoclassicism. However, the greatest exponents of this period do not sound really alike: Igor Stravinsky's Neoclassicism sounds much more classical and harmonious than Paul Hindemith's and Carl Orff's pseudo pedagogic melodies. I really liked the work of these three composers, but I find Stravinsky more sublime, delicate, and appealing to my ear. Plus, I think that Hindemith's and Orff's extensive use of xylophones, marimbas and other exotic percussions gets somehow annoying after 5 minutes.
In general, I don't really like ballet itself (even though I've been a dancer myself). Nevertheless, I think Georges Balanchine's choreographies are extremely graceful and attractive. I really really like that Balanchine, like Picasso, composed in a lot of different styles, techniques, and even art movements because I think that a real artist doesn't stick to only one way of doing art! I think an artist should always be eclectic!


1 comment:

  1. The case for eclecticism is a strong one. Balanchine, Picasso, Stravinsky - some of the greatest figures of Modernism were eclectic. Gustave Flaubert could be a Realist in one novel and a crazy Symbolist in another.

    ReplyDelete