Sunday, March 17, 2013

Art Deco

Art Nouveau + Machine Age = Art Deco


I would define Art Deco as the modern son of Art Nouveau and I've always loved Art Nouveau, so Art Deco works perfectly for me. Art Deco, however, is also really attached to our machine-dependent present and it is easy to notice that it features a tendency towards straight lines and straight geometric figures rather than curves and circles. Nevertheless, even though I usually prefer curves and circles, I think Art Deco is amazing and actually produced a great bunch of interesting and overwhelming buildings! How cool would be to live in a city full of Art Nouveau and Art Deco architecture! Moreover, homes full of Art Deco designs and paintings with people all dressed up in Art Deco fashion clothes... the paradise for sure!





















Art Deco painting itself is really contrasting and interesting. For instance, I really REALLY loved Tamara de Lempicka's work; her paintings feature some perfect color, dark and light compositions that just combine perfectly with the stylized figures that star the whole piece! Perfect! However, I didn't find Florine Stettheimer paintings that appealing even if they give a bit of an European atmosphere... (But I would LOVE to have that doll house for me!)

Tamara de Lempicka's self portrait



Lempicka's 'The Musician'


Art Deco sculpture seems to me like some miniature versions of Art Deco buildings! Really interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment