Friday, March 1, 2013

Scandinavian Architecture and Design

Scandinavian architecture and designs don't follow a really uniform style: different works of the same artist and, thus works of different artists are highly different from one another. In general, I found Scandinavian architecture quite boring, but there are some designs that I found really interesting and remarkable.
Alvar Aalto's designs seem to me plain and boring. I think I could walk by his buildings and never notice them. However, Eero Saarinen's architecture is much more eclectic and interesting; his design of the Dulles International Airport is just marvellous and really modern (if someone told me that was built last year, I would believe it!). Saarinen's TWA terminal is great too and it sort of reminds me of Sidney's opera.

Dulles International Airport
TWA terminal
Sydney Opera

Scandinavian design itself is really interesting, but I didn't find it quite as innovative as the designs of the Arts and Craft movement and Art Nouveau. But, in any case, the Scandinavian furniture seem like a bunch of pieces that can be found in any home middle class home here in Mexico!

1 comment:

  1. Again, I can tell that you like curvature in architecture! Nothing wrong with that, either.

    Aalto's distinction is definitely of a more subtle kind. But that is part of what the course is about - "Look again."

    ReplyDelete