Monday, January 21, 2013

Augustus Saint-Gaudens

If there's anything besides opera singing that I could never do, it is definitely sculpturing. I find sculptures mysterious and almost unreal and when I see any of them I just think: how did they even do it? Now that I've seen some Saint-Gaudens's sculptures, I'm just overwhelmed by the strong details that each component of his 'Robert Gould Shaw Memorial'; giving individual assets to each of those figures seems almost impossible to me, but he did it! I guess I have add another artist to my 'Appreciation list'.

Diana

1 comment:

  1. Part of what makes the Shaw Memorial great is that Saint-Gaudens brought his highly-trained classical style to bear on a socially controversial subject, racial progress in the United States.

    The movie "Glory," about the Civil War events that Saint-Gaudens memorialized, is very much worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete