Sunday, January 20, 2013

Gustave Caillebotte

Rainy Day, Paris

Caillebotte's paintings have become part of my favourites so far in this course. His work is simply fantastic and hypnotic. 
Personally, I could stare at 'Rainy Day, Paris' for hours and never get tired. When I first took a look at 'Rainy Day, Paris' I could actually feel that I was at Paris once again; it portrays the exact same atmosphere that I have hold in my memory. This painting looks so natural to me: people there are just doing what normal people are supposed to do, there's nothing special going on in there, but somehow the panorama amazes me. Maybe is the mystery of what is that couple looking at, maybe is that building in the back or maybe is that death sky. Anyway, this painting is simply marvellous!
'Young man at the Window" and "Interior" are two pieces of pure mystery in different ways. Both portray people from behind looking out of the window. In my opinion, the first painting expresses powerfulness.. that man is satisfied with his life and looks dominantly at the window. The second one gives a rather reclusive atmosphere; it seems to me that that woman is melancholic, waiting for something to happen, something that will thrill her life with that man reading the newspaper... 

1 comment:

  1. "Rainy Day, Paris" is mesmerizing in person, too. It is at the Art Institute of Chicago. Very large work.

    Caillebotte is a real favorite of mine. I saw a show with a lot of his work in it once. Truly impressive.

    ReplyDelete