Sunday, January 20, 2013

Impressionism in Music: Claude Debussy

I think that the most difficult art to review is music. It is hard for me to criticize music because I don't really know a lot about it; however, I can affirm that Debussy's 'Prelude à l'après-midi d'un faune' has enchanted me. At first, I just though 'well if this is impressionist music, I'm not quite impressed by this calm and pretty much familiar music', but then there's this magical drastic change in the music and a bunch of exalted sounds combining that just amazed me. In fact, I end up liking how this piece mixes some calm music intervals with some crazy music intervals. I think 'Prelude à l'après-midi d'un faune' could be a perfect piece for a silent film.

As an extra, I found another piece of Claude Debussy that enchanted me as much as 'Prelude à l'après-midi d'un faune': 'Clair de Lune' 




1 comment:

  1. Music IS hard to write about, no question. Words have a hard time conveying the "je ne sais quoi" of a good piece of music.

    Try Debussy's BIG orchestral tone poem "La mer" sometime. Surging and powerful, like the sea it depicts. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete