Sunday, January 27, 2013

Early Modern Sculpture: Auguste Rodin, Camille Claudel and Aristide Maillol

I always enjoy a good sculpture. So, why wouldn't I enjoy Rodin's, Claudel's and Maillol's works?
Rodin is obviously the most important sculpture the world produced in the early modern era. His works are memorable not only because of their incomprehensible perfectiveness, but because of their challenging nature. His works seem really realistic even when they are rather rough, sketchy or even 'unfinished' human bodies. His famous 'The Thinker' is one of the most important pieces of art the humankind can treasure, but I admit that I feel more moved by 'Walking Man'.

Rodin's 'Walking Man'
Claudel's detailed, delicate, and perfect work is definitely my single favourite; everything she made is just sublime, I have no words for it; her sculptures are indescribably perfect: everything is in the right place, her creations talk to me, they seem alive, they ARE alive for me. *Hats off*

Claudel's 'La Valse' -my favourite-

Maillol's work, on the other hand, was quite disturbing for me. It's not that I didn't like his sculptures, but the poses of those women are striking, creepy, and pretty much alarming. I mean, what is this woman doing?

Maillol's 'The River'

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy your reactions here. I wonder if Maillol wasn't a little bit misogynist, he twists his poor women so.

    Rodin's "unfinished" sculptures are very potent.

    And Claudel...part of what I love about her is that even though she was in a relationship with Rodin, she didn't imitate his style; if anything, he imitated HER in a few works. She was very much her own person. Not a great "woman sculptor," a great sculptor, period.

    ReplyDelete