Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Uncanny - Luminists and Other 19th Century American Painters

I have to admit that I find the Luminists' paintings quite different. Even if they look somehow realistic, there's something about them that just doesn't fit completely... Those landscapes and scenarios actually familiar, there shouldn't be anything strange, but somehow they just don't look completely right (even in a fantasy)... they are uncanny!
Even though there's crackling in some works, the paintings have an exquisite brushwork, there are no brush marks or painting clumps on them and I really like that. In my own paintings, I prefer not to leave any brush marks at all, so I kind of feel comfortable with this painters.

"Boatmen on the Missouri"



1 comment:

  1. The Luminists sound right "up your alley," as we say. There is zero visible brushwork in most Luminist paintings. Blakelock and Ryder, who are later and not really Luminists proper, leave very heavy visible brushwork.

    I fell in love with the Luminists when I first read about them in "The Vincent Price Treasury of American Art" in high school. Since then, I've seen a lot of their paintings in person. They are magical.

    ReplyDelete