Monday, January 21, 2013

Giacomo Puccini and Verismo Opera

Of course, I have already heard about Puccini's 'La Boheme', but I have to admit I never took a time to actually listen to it. I've always thought that the operas offer the public an experience that any other form of art (painting, literature, cinema, etc.), or any other form of music so far can ever imitate. I consider opera singers as some sort of elite of music, and I don't really sing, but I can infer that opera is an upper level challenge for singers; I guess it takes years and years and years -and years- to actually become o good opera singer. 
The last opera I assisted to was 'Madama Butterfly' -another opera of Puccini- (sometimes this little city offers great shows) about one or two years ago. It really touched me... the story, the sopranos, tenors, even that minimalist scenery were just the perfect combination for the old Pablo de Villavicencio theatre.  Now that I have listened this short excerpt of 'La Boheme', I recognized that weird sensation I felt with 'Madame Butterfly'... Opera always leaves me speechless.



1 comment:

  1. Opera is intense from a technical point of view, that is certainly true. We'll see more of that very soon in the class.

    Callas is amazing. I have a bunch of her performances in my collection.

    ReplyDelete