Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Imaginism's Precursor: Stephen Crane

Stephen Crane's poems are some great examples of pure poetry. While reading Crane's work, you can just feel his freedom, his freshness and his imagination throughout the lines of the poems, and he doesn't even need to use any intricate vocabulary or any complex syntax! Crane's poems are direct, short and effective. In spite of the short length and the plain language Crane uses, his poems are actually deep, and make some good philosophical, religious and cultural references. In fact, I think his are the poems that I have enjoyed the most during the whole course; they make me smile, they make me laugh, they are just unique.

My personal favourite untitled poems:

"Think as I think," said a man, 
"Or you are abominably wicked; 
You are a toad." 

And after I had thought of it, 
I said, "I will, then, be a toad."


___________________________

You tell me this is God? 
I tell you this is a printed list, 
A burning candle, and an ass.


___________________________

A man said to the universe: 
"Sir I exist!" 
"However," replied the universe, 
"The fact has not created in me 
A sense of obligation."


___________________________

I saw a man pursuing the horizon; 
Round and round they sped. 
I was disturbed at this; 
I accosted the man. 
"It is futile," I said, 
"You can never -- " 

"You lie," he cried, 
And ran on.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked them. When I discovered some of Crane's poems in an anthology, I think this was during college, I said to himself, "I've got to read all of those," and I found them and I did; there are only about 140 poems total, and of course they're pretty short, so I got them done in an afternoon. I've re-read them many times since, and have quite a few by heart. They are very personal to me.

    ReplyDelete