Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Natural Design: Arts and Crafts Movement Class Reaction

I think that this has been the class I've enjoyed the most by now! Every piece of art that we saw today was PURE gold; either it was a painting, a piece of architecture, a chair, a bookcase, a table, jewellery or a wallpaper, each work fulfilled me more than any other of the different art movements we've discussing in the course. It's hard to define what art, and particularly the Arts and Crafts Movement causes in me, but I can say that it made feel so fresh; that's a perfect word: fresh. Maybe what makes this movement so enjoyable and appealing to me it's that it doesn't take a side on how to make art: you can decide to follow some of the Academy rules on your paintings,stick to geometry and symmetry on your furniture design, and, at the same time, use new styles and create asymmetric buildings with crazy roofs; I mean, you are not the baroque painter following the same patterns over and over again nor the impressionist just doing everything against the 'accepted' styles... you're just free to do whatever you want that is beautiful, useful, and makes human creations look part of nature.

1 comment:

  1. This class on Natural Design was great fun to put together because of the variety of materials included. I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete