Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Paul Gauguin

I think Paul Gauguin's work is attractive rather for its rareness than for being beautiful. In fact, I wouldn't consider his paintings pretty or beautiful, and I wouldn't like to paint them at all, but still I think they are great. I like how he can mix some sort of realistic elements with some abstract on the same canvas, and how he manages to obtain that abstraction from a strange mixture of colours. Paul Gauguin will never be my favourite painter, but he's certainly to look up to.

Gauguin's 'Tahitian landscape'

1 comment:

  1. I love islands to visit, although I might find one confining to live on; I haven't tried it, so I don't know. I can easily relate to Gauguin's attraction to the South Pacific, a region I love reading about.

    ReplyDelete