Sunday, January 27, 2013

'The Sunflowers' by Douglas Stewart


Van Gogh's sunflowers

Reading Stewart's 'The Sunflowers' was a unique experience. It definitely expresses a whole new vision of sunflowers (at least for me); it was quite shocking because I grew in a kinder garden that was full of sunflowers (in fact his name is 'Los Girasoles' <The Sunflowers>), and I had never imagined that someone could actually find evil or madness on those beautiful flowers... yeah, they move, but that's what makes them special, no dangerous, right? My yellow fellas couldn't be bad, right?
I have to affirm that this short poem is not only really interesting and different, but a sublime piece of art. I read it over and over again, and each time I loved it more and more. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm REALLY glad you liked the Stewart poem. I added it to the notes and to Blackboard after class, because it came back to me while I was teaching that day. Australian poetry is unfairly unknown. My favorite Aussie poet is Shaw Neilson (1872-1942). Kenneth Slessor (1901-1971) is also terrific; he has an amazing, fairly long poem called "Five Bells," which I recommend.

    ReplyDelete