Sunday, January 20, 2013

Impressionism in Literature: The Tachtigers: Jacques Perk and Albert Verwey

When I was reading Jacques Perk's and Albert Verwey's poems all I could think about is that those pieces could have been written by the young Werther to his confident Wilhem on Goethe's masterpiece 'The Sorrows of Young Werther'. Maybe I'm wrong, but these authors sort of reminded to the romanticist nature and beauty lovers. It seems that both authors are narrating a beautiful painting. I think anyone who reads 'Evensong' or 'Moonlight' will like to be in there and see with his or her own eyes what the poets are talking about.

Werther


1 comment:

  1. I love "The Sorrows of Young Werther"! I really need to read Goethe's other novels such as "Elective Affinities." The "to read" pile is always a mountain.

    ReplyDelete