Sunday, January 20, 2013

Impressionism Class Reaction

Last class we got to see a lot of painting from several painters of the Salon des Refuses, the Barbizon School and Impressionism. We got to see some of the Gods of painting: Edouard Manet, Claude Monet, Camille Pissarro, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, and Edgar Degas. I think that the one that I enjoyed the most was the last one. Degas' work can be described in one word: challenging. The angle of vision and the cropping of the images he portrays make his work something really special. He isn't afraid of challenging the public with unexpected angles of vision, or by representing unimportant parts of the scene (people is looking at something that is important, but we can't see it!), or even presenting death spaces at the center of the painting (which is really important in most paintings)

Place de la Concorde

1 comment:

  1. When I was preparing the class and re-familiarizing myself with all the painters, Degas hit me in a more intense way than he ever had before, which I suppose came across.

    Art grows with you as you grow.

    ReplyDelete